On Holland America ships, we provide a wide variety of exciting youth and teen friendly activities and facilities for guests ages 3 to 17. With supervised fun for our younger guests, the entire family can have the cruise vacation of their dreams.
Safe and Managed Supervision
You can feel at ease knowing that your child's onboard experience is safe and well-managed. Our commitment is to create an environment for all children that is safe, nurturing and empowering.
All Club HAL® activities are supervised by full-time staff and are designed to be kid friendly and age appropriate. Youth Staff hold degrees in education, childhood development, recreation, leisure studies or related fields.
Holland America Line has a zero tolerance policy with respect to child abuse.
Club HAL is proud to be accredited by Praesidium, Inc., the national leader in child abuse prevention. Our decision to exceed national standards of care comes from our strong commitment to protect our staff and Club HAL participants. Safety is always our primary concern in Club HAL. Strict policies and procedures are in place to facilitate effective monitoring and supervision in order to protect youth from abuse. At no time are adults permitted to remain in the Youth Center unless attending to a special needs child during activities.
- Club HAL® — Kids*: Children, ages 3-6, can participate in such activities as pirate treasure hunts, storytelling, "Little Artists" crafts, ice cream sundae parties and a farewell pajama party.
- All children participating in Club HAL must be at least three years of age at the time of sailing and completely toilet trained. No diapers or pull–ups are permitted in the Youth Center. Youth Staff cannot assist children in the restroom.
- Club HAL® — Tweens*: Tweens, ages 7-12 take part in Xbox tournaments, relay races, scavenger hunts, karaoke disco parties and participate in the award-winning National Park Service Jr. Ranger Alaska Program.
- The Loft for Teens*: Teens, ages 13-17 enjoy mocktail mixology classes, late night sporting competitions, hip hop classes, guys verses girls scavenger hunts, tech classes and teen-only night club events. When there are more than 100 children on board, a HAL Talent Show is offered. (The Loft is not available on Prinsendam.)
- Culinary Arts Center: Hands-on cooking classes for kids and teens offering basic cooking techniques, kitchen safety and recipe instruction. Workshops are offered for two age groups: ages 3-7, and ages 8-15. Parents must register their children on board at the Front Office.
*On the ms Prinsendam, youth activities are offered for ages 5-17. All other ships offer youth activities for ages 3-17.
Parents/Guardians should note that each program features age specific events and children are required to participate in the program designed for their chronological age. No exceptions will be made.
Times may vary based on the number of children on board and staffing:
Kids and Tweens
- Sea Days: 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
- Port Days: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
- Sea Days: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.
- Port Days: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (non-hosted) and 8:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.